Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:03:22 +0000

>>> "Nicolas" == Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
   >> So you are saying we cannot have both.

   > I'm not. I'm opposed to have overlapping features with two different
   > implementations, that's all.

   >> But couldn't the feature of shrink one particular wide column to a
   >> certain width  be implemented using your new implementation?

   > I already made that offer.

Then I really misunderstood you, and apologize. I find the new
implementation very useful and useable and I am grateful that you
implemented it.

   > However, the narrowing (as opposed to shrinking) feature is yet to be
   > defined. In particular, I think width cookies should not be used, i.e.,
   > you shouldn't have to modify _data_ to alter the _view_.

I am really not a fan of that current implementation, but it is the only
one we have.

   > It is possible, however, to, e.g., reduce by half the current column, or
   > to a pre-defined width.

That would be great indeed. So please don't drop the branch but instead,
if you have time, try that and I would be more than happy to test it and
then hopefully narrowing based on cookies could be dropped.

Regards

Uwe