Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 13:47:50 +0200

Hello,

Rick Frankel <address@hidden> writes:

> Personally, my use of width cookies has been mostly for visual display of
> columns are very long and will wrap in an html or latex table export, but
> would force the display too wide. My ideal default would be to have a setting
> which would shrink tables a reasonable (fill-column?, window-width?) visual
> display, with perhaps a min-column-width option and trying to balance the
> width of each column base on its un-narrowed total width, perhaps trying to
> keep narrow columns as-is in the process. For me this would probably align
> cognitively with how much info is needed to grok the cell contents.

It would be a fun optimization problem to solve, but I doubt it would be
much useful (e.g., pathological cases getting in the way...).

> I like a single cycling command.

[...]

> Wouldn't a min-column-width setting to use when there is no cookie solve the
> the bi- vs tri-state problem (every column has three states)

For the sake of simplicity, I opted for two states cycling in the latest
proof of concept. It means that columns with a width cookie cannot be
narrowed to 1 character, but I assume it is an acceptable restriction
since the width cookie is probably there for a reason.

> P.S. and (somewhat) off topic: The doc string for
> `org-ascii-table-use-ascii-art' is out of date. `ascii-art-to-unicode.el' is
> now in elpa and the url no longer works.

Fixed. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou