Re: [O] Org-mode table/links -> mediawiki

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode table/links -> mediawiki
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:54:27 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm at the stage of building an org-mode table to be exported to
>> mediawiki and its going to be the front page of my DrugFacts site.
>>
>> So far I'm here -
>>
>> | *Illegal*                       | *Category's*               |     *Legal*
>>       | *Prescription only*   | *Substitute*        | *Others*       |
>> |-------------------------------+--------------------------+---------------+---------------------+-----------------+--------------|
>> | * Amphetamines                | * :Category:Anaesthetics | * Alcohol     |
>> * Alprazolam        | * Buprenorphine | * Flumazenil |
>> | * AMT                         | * Analgesics             | * [[Betel
>> nut][Betel nut]]   | * Citalopram        | * [[Methadone][Methadone]]     |
>> * [[Naxolone][Naxolone]]   |
>> | * Anabolic Steroids           | * Anticonvulsants        | *
>> [[Caffeine][Caffeine]]    | * Codeine           | *
>> [[Naltrexone][Naltrexone]]    |              |
>> | * Benzodiazepines             | * Antidepressants        | *
>> [[Paracetamol][Paracetamol]] | * Dextroamphetamine | *
>> [[Suboxone][Suboxone]]      |              |
>> | * BZP                         | * Anxiolytics‏‎            | *
>> [[Tobacco][Tobacco]]     | * Diazepam          |                 |
>> | * Cannabis                    | * Appetite suppressants‏‎  |
>> | * Fentanyl          |                 |              |
>>
>> But I'm running up against problems, like these -
>>
>> - If I make it an org-mode link, like in 'Betel nut' then when I try to
>>   export it I get a message like this "(user-error "Unable to resolve
>>   link: \"Betel nut\"") in user-error".
>>   - in mediawiki the link would be [[Betel nut]].
>>
>> - In mediawiki 'Cannabis' is shown as [[Marijuana|Cannabis]], but
>>   org-mode thinks that its another column in the table.
>>
>> Using an org-mode table means that its very easy to generate/export the
>> table into mediawiki format, so I really do want to use one, but I do
>> need to have an org-mode link be able to be changed into an mediawiki
>> link.
>>
>> How can I resolve both these problems please?
>
> I guess you could use a dedicated Org -> MediaWiki export backend, e.g.,
>
>   https://github.com/tomalexander/orgmode-mediawiki/

Thanks Nicolas.

I already am using everything mediawiki-related from ELPA, and my google
search for 'org-mode & mediawiki' only showed me what I already have, so
I think I've reached the end of the road there, unfortunately.

But with regard to moving forward with my bullet-points -

1. If the links are exported as [Betel nut] then under mediawiki they
   could have the extra '[' and ']' placed by using 'global replace'. This
   works in my test cases.
2. If this is used [Marijuana!Cannabis] it is possible to use 'global
   replace' to change '!' to '|' and works very well. Then you can use (1).

Both of these solutions work well, although you do have to do a bit more
work on a mediawiki buffer, but its all a lot better than trying to
build a mediawiki table for the front page.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.7