Re: [O] Subject: Use of date trees in Capture has been modified

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Subject: Use of date trees in Capture has been modified
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:10:35 +0100

Hi Eric,

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thursday, 16 Mar 2017 at 07:55, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have just pushed (to master) a patch that modifies the use
> of date trees in capture templates.

[...]

> For the time being, the old targets will be automatically translated
> and used correctly. When you use customize to change
> org-capture-templates, things will automatically be updated next time
> you change the variable.  The recommendation is to go and update your
> templates, in case at some time in the future, we might remove the
> compatibility layer.

Carsten,

would you please post an example of the new format for those that don't
use customize for capture templates?  An example equivalent to the
current behaviour would be welcome.

For instance, my current diary appointment capture entry looks like this:

 ("d" "diary" entry
   (file+datetree "~/s/notes/diary.org")
   "* %^{Appointment} %^G\n%^{Date + time}T"
   :immediate-finish t)

This case turns into

("d" "diary" entry
   (file+olp+datetree "~/s/notes/diary.org")
   "* %^{Appointment} %^G\n%^{Date + time}T"
   :immediate-finish t)

so you only need to change the symbol from file+datetree to file+olp+datetree

If you were using a week tree, the symbol you'd still use file+olp+datetree but also set the property

    :tree-type week

If you are using one of the ....+prompt version, you would instead set the property

   :time-prompt t

That is all.

If you want to specify an outline path, these are just additional strings after the file name, for example

("d" "diary" entry
   (file+olp+datetree "~/s/notes/diary.org" "Heading 1" "Subheading" "subsubheading")
   "* %^{Appointment} %^G\n%^{Date + time}T"
   :immediate-finish t)

Does that answer your question?

Carsten