[O] org-export-babel-evaluate=nil ignores ":exports results" setting - t

From: Derek Feichtinger
Subject: [O] org-export-babel-evaluate=nil ignores ":exports results" setting - this has changed
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 23:02:07 +0100

When org-export-babel-evaluate is set to nil, I see a different behavior now as compared to earlier versions of org.

Now it seems that all header arguments of a code block are ignored, including the arguments to the :exports setting. Even when I have set ":exports results" or ":exports code" I always get code and results exported in the resulting document. If org-export-babel-evaluate is set to t then everything behaves the way I was used to, ":exports results" just exports the results and when set to "code" just the code is exported.

I think that this should be considered a bug. I frequently (even most of the time) want to evaluate the org blocks manually, not upon export, but I want to be able to define whether only the results should be visible in the exported document. For generated pictures this is usually the normal case.

I am using org 9.0.5 from MELPA now, and I can't completely say when this changed, but I am very sure that a few weeks ago the behavior was different, since I am using org a lot for preparing documents.

Simple test document:

#####################
* Test

  #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :results output :exports code
(princ (format "This should only export the code\nemacs %s\norg %s" emacs-version org-version))
  #+END_SRC

  #+RESULTS:
  : This should only export the code
  : emacs 25.1.1
  : org 9.0.5

  #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :results output :exports results
(princ (format "This should only export the results\nemacs %s\norg %s" emacs-version org-version))
  #+END_SRC

  #+RESULTS:
  : This should only export the results
  : emacs 25.1.1
  : org 9.0.5

* COMMENT Org babel settings
Local Variables:
org-export-babel-evaluate: nil
End:

####################
ASCII exported document when org-export-babel-evaluate: nil

1 Test
======

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
| (princ (format "This should only export the results\nemacs %s\norg %s" emacs-version org-version))
  `----

  ,----
  | This should only export the results
  | emacs 25.1.1
  | org 9.0.5
  `----

####################
ASCII exported document when org-export-babel-evaluate: t

1 Test
======

  ,----
| (princ (format "This should only export the code\nemacs %s\norg %s" emacs-version org-version))
  `----

  ,----
  | This should only export the results
  | emacs 25.1.1
  | org 9.0.5
  `----

Best regards,
Derek

--
Paul Scherrer Institut
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Phone:   +41 56 310 47 33