[O] Bug: Feature Request: Specifying a 'master file' in included files [

From: Manuel Schneckenreither
Subject: [O] Bug: Feature Request: Specifying a 'master file' in included files [9.0.1 (9.0.1-elpa @ /home/schnecki/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161118/)]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:10:38 +0100

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

Hi,

I have a feature request. It would be awesome if there was a master file setup
similar to auctex such that whenever an export is started while residing in an
included file the export is automatically called from the master buffer (main
file
with headers and all includes). This would generate the desired exported
document
(html,LaTeX,...). Currently, something similar may be done using the publishing,
but this only works for HTML exports. I'm thinking of something like following
at
the top of the included file:

# Set master in file introduction.org
#+MASTER_FILE: main.org  # possibly even with relative path, like ../main.org

With this it would be possible to safely switch to the main.org buffer (or even
open the file it if not opened) and then call the export from there. What do you
think?

Manuel

P.S.: I'm not really familiar with the org code, nor with elisp. So I can't
estimate the workload for this feature.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.9)
 of 2016-09-18
Package: Org mode version 9.0.1 (9.0.1-elpa @
/home/schnecki/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161118/)