Re: [O] org-ref file path to pdf

From: Georg W. Otto
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref file path to pdf
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 18:59:11 +0000

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I just pushed a feature that might get you back what you want.
>
> You can now put [[file:%F][%f]] in the org-ref-note-title-format
> variable, and it will put (concat org-ref-pdf-directory key ".pdf") in
> for %F, and (concat key ".pdf") in for %f. There is unfortunately, no
> check if the pdf actually exists though.
>
> A second option is to write a function to add to a new hook variable:
> org-ref-create-notes-hook
>
> There is an example function in that that adds a cite link (which can
> open a pdf), but if you wanted to you could write a function that would
> add a file link to a pdf if it could find one.

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful. As you suggested I added a
function to org-ref-create-notes-hook in my init file:

(defun org-ref-add-note-pdf()

  (setq pdf (concat org-ref-pdf-directory key ".pdf"))

  (if (file-exists-p pdf)

      (insert (format "[[file:%s][pdf]]\n\n" pdf))

    ;; no pdf found. Prompt for a path, but allow no pdf to
    ;; be inserted.
    (let ((pdf (read-file-name "PDF: " nil "no pdf" nil "no pdf")))
      (when (not (string= pdf "no pdf"))
        (insert (format
                 " [[file:%s][pdf]]\n\n"
                 pdf))))
    )
  )

(add-hook 'org-ref-create-notes-hook 'org-ref-add-note-pdf)

This formats the pdf link as intended.

My question now concerns the citation link that is defined in the lambda
function in org-ref-create-notes-hook. I might want to override this
lambda function with my own hook function in order to change the format
of the citation link. I haven't found a way to override a lambda
function, though. Can you give me a hint how this is done?

Cheers,

Georg