Re: [O] Multiple underscores crash org latex export; other exporters sur

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: [O] Multiple underscores crash org latex export; other exporters survive
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 23:53:38 -0500

On 12/03/2016 05:31 PM, Charles C. Berry wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Scott Randby wrote:
>
>> On 12/03/2016 02:40 PM, Scott Otterson wrote:
>>> When an org file contains a string with more than one underscore, the
>>> orgmode export result will crash latex (example attached).   On the
>>> other hand, the org html export does finish successfully, and while
>>> result is odd, it's odd in a way that makes the problem visible and easy
>>> to identify.
>>
>> I exported your file using LaTeX export without trouble. The result does
>> look odd, but that is because the string you gave is missing the braces
>> needed to make it export properly. The output messages warn that the
>> string contains a double subscript, so the problem is with the string
>> and not Org's LaTeX export.
>>
>> Your string: a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks
>>
>> Properly formed string: a_{variable_{deleteThisAndItWorks}}
>
> I don't think the OP wanted double subscripts.  If the OP really wanted
> "heavily underscored code snippets", something like:
>
> Code snippet:  ~a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks~
>
> seems like the way to go.

It seems I misunderstood the original question.

There is an interesting issue here. I sometimes want to use ~ in a code
snippet, so I can't use ~code snippet~. Yet,

Org code: address@hidden@

Exported LaTeX:
address@hidden(_{\text{variable}}_{\text{deleteThisAndItWorks}}\)@

The exported LaTeX is not what we want. Instead,

Org code: #+latex:address@hidden@

Alternative: @@latex:address@hidden@@@

Exported LaTeX: address@hidden@

I've wondered why \verb isn't exported correctly without specifying it
as literal LaTeX, but I don't have the expertise to be able to determine
why.

Scott