Re: [O] Multiple underscores crash org latex export; other exporters sur

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: [O] Multiple underscores crash org latex export; other exporters survive
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 13:18:42 -0500

On 12/06/2016 02:19 AM, Scott Otterson wrote:
> I understand that orgmode is literally copying Latex; I am suggesting
> that orgmode should do more than copy.

Org only literally copies some expressions. The expression "A_B_C" is
not a LaTeX expression and it cannot be literally copied when exporting
to LaTeX. Instead, Org must export "A_B_C" to a LaTeX expression. In
this case, Org exports to "A\(_{\text{B}}_{\text{C}}\)" because in LaTeX
the underscore character is used for subscripts in mathematical
expressions. The exported string is not a valid LaTeX expression because
the original string is incomplete. If you don't want Org LaTeX export to
export the underscore character to a subscript, the you need to tell Org
you want it to do that with additional markup such as "~A_B_C~" or
something similar. As someone who relies on Org's LaTeX exporting
capability, I would not be in favor of changing how Org exports a
non-LaTeX expression containing underscores.

> This is for the reasons I gave: fixing problems export problems for one
> export type (usually Latex) breaks it for other export types; new users,
> etc. ...).

I don't think it is possible to have a markup scheme that enables one to
perfectly export every document to every possible format. For instance,
LaTeX and HTML were designed to meet very different needs. The
intersection of these two markup languages is far from the union of
them. Org does a fantastic job of taking care of the intersection, and
it also includes wonderful tools that allow users to deal with instances
outside of the intersection.

I generally avoid exporting an Org file to both LaTeX and HTML (the two
export formats I use) unless the file is very basic. It is too much work
to make a file that exports to both formats well. But I can't blame Org
for that problem. It is the differing natures and purposes of LaTeX and
HTML that cause the trouble.

I'm not saying that Org export is as good as it can be. Certain aspects
of the default LaTeX export could be improved to help new users in my
opinion, but I haven't had the time to suggest those improvements.

I sympathize with the problems some new users may face when exporting an
Org file to various formats. I have friends who moved to Org but had
trouble with PDF export because they had no knowledge of LaTeX or
understanding of TeX distributions. Installing Emacs was a challenge for
some of my friends. The only solution I've been able to devise is to
provide as much help as possible and to encourage my friends to
subscribe to this mailing list.

Scott Randby