Re: [O] [bug] timed repeater shows up in wrong place

From: cesar mena
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] timed repeater shows up in wrong place
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 08:28:05 -0500

hello list, nicolas, samuel,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 11/27/16, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I pushed a few more fixed in plain time-stamps and deadlines. Please
>>> report if you find anything suspicious.
>>
>> please try this:
>>
>>   SCHEDULED: <2016-09-17 Sat .+2d>
>>
>> emacs -Q, with a 2-day span and show-all nil.
>
> [...]
>
>> in org 9:
>>
>>   1] it shows on both days
>>   2] it shows 72x
>>
>> re 1, dunno if this was intended?
>
> It is.
>
> It shows first repeat. I assume you tested that yesterday, so you got
> the repeat for today. Since the repeat didn't trigger "today" (which is
> actually yesterday), it also displays a reminder for the scheduled item
> there.
>
> So, you have "72x" on "today" and a new repeat on the next day.
>
>> re 2, org 9 is trying to do its counting from the original timestamp
>> date.  i can understand the reasoning here, but do not want it for my
>> use case.
>
> It is, per 1-year old commit (3072cb28e8627066f465f1a4af85da88135d0549).
> Details are given here:
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/101884>.

right the rationale there is that it would be misleading to show 2x
when you really haven't "doneify" the task for more than 72 days. but,
alas, this is what org 8 does.

>> 72x gets buried.  it's a sudden pop up then a sudden drop off.  i want
>> a gradual bubbling down like in org 8.  a .+30d repeater should show
>> today, then tomorrow it should show 2x, then the next day it should
>> show 3x.
>>
>> org 8 is nicer for showing the fact that 2d ago you were reminded to
>> do it, and maybe did it but did not doneify or maybe were not able to
>> do it.  it bubbles down slowly.
>
> It's difficult to solve both problems. In any case, this will not happen
> in Org 9.0.
>
> I think the main problem is that you put too many things behind
> `org-agenda-repeating-timestamp-show-all'. Its name is misleading.
> I think we need a new variable, or to change this one, to have both
> behaviours possible. Suggestions (and docstrings) are welcome, we can
> implement them in master branch.

i generate a file for the year with "events", as samuel describes it,
when i need that kind of scheduling. this has the advantage of having
the "bubbling" effect, showing all the ones not marked done as
separate entries, and the ability to have notes per event. i'm
attaching the script i use to generate it ... i pipe the output into
an agenda accessible file. samuel maybe this is useful?