Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 19:26:45 +0100

* Giacomo M <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I would like to clean up my Linux setup to be easily replicable. I am
> considering keeping everything in one org file, and then tangling files
> (e.g. exec scripts, systemd service unit files) and executing bash snippets
> (e.g. for installing packages and sed'ing config files). Then one would
> need just emacs and git (or rsync) to start with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with this? Is the experience positive or
> negative?

I posted my approach on this list in May:

> From: Karl Voit <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Using source blocks instead of Ansible
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 23:02:28 +0200

(Since the web interface of gmane is down for the moment, I can't
give you a link.)

I am not using tangling. I limit myself to just install packages and
modify settings via search/replace instead.

HTH

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github