Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration

From: Giacomo M
Subject: Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 15:22:41 +0100

Dear Stefan,

thanks for the hints, I wasn't aware of these projects. While they sound appealing, I would like to stick to my current distribution (archlinux), for a variety of reasons (e.g. Im updating my raspberry which seems more supported by arch than nixos, I'm more familiar with it, I like the vanilla approach and wiki). Anyway, I'll look more into these options.

Still, having one or few org files documenting AND implementing my setup, apart from being easy potential blog posts, I think would help me keeping things under control (especially over years-long time horizons). It is working well for my emacs conf  (before my .emacs was a mess), but not sure if it's the same scaling up to OS (e.g. chmod when tangling, root user privileges when executing, or other things I'm not aware of).

Il 03 Nov 2016 2:55 PM, "Stefan Huchler" <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Giacomo M <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear all,
> I would like to clean up my Linux setup to be easily replicable. I am
> considering keeping everything in one org file, and then tangling
> files (e.g. exec scripts, systemd service unit files) and executing
> bash snippets (e.g. for installing packages and sed'ing config files).
> Then one would need just emacs and git (or rsync) to start with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with this? Is the experience positive or
> negative?
>
> Also, should I just run emacs as root? Or using somehow sudo non
> interactively for babel blocks execution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giacomo M

Do you know about nixos and guixsd? Sounds like you want to implement
here something similar, except less good cause this distributions have
also atomic updates and features like testing a configuration and
rollback features and some sort of conflict management, also it can
switch "profiles" without reboots and stuff like that.