Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.4 (8.3.4-dist @ /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 18:01:23 +0100

Hi,

Reuben Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. The top heading is "Download and install", but the second half of
> the section is a list of links that look like they belong in a
> different section (List of features, Manuals and tutorials…).

I could not find an elegant solution for this.  I don't have that much
time to dedicate to this, but patches are welcome.

> 2. The various types of download are still too mixed up. For normal
> users, there is no need to offer anything other than the ELPA method
> (unless you think some users still use pre-package.el Emacs?)

I promoted the ELPA version, but I want to allow the download the
archives, as it's still useful, even for normal users.

> I suggest that you move these items to the "Documentation and
> literature" section: Manuals and tutorials, Worg, History &
> acknowledgements, Talks, GSoC.
>
> Remove the heading "Download and install", but instead make the
> entire list heading-sized text. The top-most item in the list should
> be something like:
>
> "Install Org mode from [GNU ELPA]: M-x package-install RET org RET
> (for the [bleeding edge], use [Org ELPA]!)"
>
> The bits in square brackets are links, respectively, to GNU ELPA, the
> bleeding edge Worg page, and the Org ELPA page.
>
> The rest of the list is then:
>
> Mailing list and goodies
> Org tools (outside Emacs)
> How to contribute to Org [no question mark!]
>
> The development version info should move to "How to contribute to
> Org?".

I think the page is fine now -- we can enhance the whole website
at the next big refreshment.

> ​The link to "More on installing Org mode" can be moved to the
> developer documentation.

The links changed -- given that the "Installation instructions" are
often needed, I think it's good to have it here.

> I think this would make the page much easier to parse, and hence
> attract more casual users, as well as saving more experienced users
> time.

Let me know if the current page is at least 90% "good enough" :)

Thanks!

--
 Bastien