Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.4 (8.3.4-dist @ /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 11:27:12 +0100

Hi all,

> However, I think we should make more frequent bugfix releases. We may
> even automate such releases, e.g., one week after the last unreleased
> bugfix in the branch. I don't do releases however, so this may just be
> a weird idea.
>
> Bastien, is it even possible?

We could simply have daily snapshot of the maint branch in addition to
daily snapshot of the master branch.

For now http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz is build from the master
branch, but we could also have http://orgmode.org/org-bugfix.tar.gz.

What do you think?

>> Thought experiment: if it is good enough, surely the web site should
>> point users to this installation method for the stable version?
>
> Isn't it the case already? From the first page I see
>
>   M-x list-packages RET (see Org ELPA)
>
>   Daily snapshots: tar.gz or zip
>
>> I can't imagine there are many users who would prefer to compile from
>> source rather than just use package-install!
>
> I don't think we force users to use development version (even though it
> is appreciated, particularly close to a major release). OTOH, being able
> to browse source code is very important so the "git clone" command and
> the "cgit" link also belong to the first page.

In general, the compiled version is not that much faster and bug
reports we get from uncompiled versions are better.  So it's good
to not force users to use a compiled version IMHO.

>> ​ Also, the version should be the git tag (so that the version number is
>> clearly visible), rather than the current "YYYYMMDD" format, which looks
>> like a development snapshot.
>
> We need to tell the difference between a release and a cut from the
> maint branch.
>
> Also, I'd rather have monotonic version tags, so 8.3.6.whatever is not
> really an option. Maybe 8.3.YYYMMDD... and we drop manual bugfix
> releases altogether.

I'm not sure what is the issue here.

Thanks,

--