Re: [O] Call for an Emacs Library Developer

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [O] Call for an Emacs Library Developer
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 15:58:05 -0400

(OT about free software and android to run mobileorg, so being brief.)

Stefan Huchler <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>   https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android
>>
>> And there is a fork/rewrite which I didn't know about, but looks interesting:
>>
>>   https://github.com/wizmer/syncorg
>
> Would be neat if there would be a f-droid build, else you have to access
> somehow complicated to the apk.

True.  But it was not hard in android studio.

> btw are the android build tools and libs all opensource?

Mostly, at least the actual build tools.  Not sure about Android Studio
(IDE).  There are google proprietary libraries that are avoided in
f-droid builds, but some programs depend on them.

> [trimmed]

> I am not shure if that relates to your topic, but people should maybe
> consider for which plattform to develop makes most sense.

Certainly there is a free software ethics issue here.  But I find that
with nexus-branded devices on which you can install your own OS,
cyanogenmod (non-free firmwares, but mostly ok - but computers come with
non-free firmware built in usually) and f-droid (which really respects
software freedom), things are pretty much ok.  Compared to iOS it is
great :-)