Re: [O] Call for an Emacs Library Developer

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: [O] Call for an Emacs Library Developer
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:14:43 +0200

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

>   https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android
>
> And there is a fork/rewrite which I didn't know about, but looks interesting:
>
>   https://github.com/wizmer/syncorg

Would be neat if there would be a f-droid build, else you have to access
somehow complicated to the apk.

btw are the android build tools and libs all opensource?

I have problems to see android as a viable future for me, java is a
horrible development plattform when I just look how much stuff you have
to install to develop for android, and use their tools then the many
useless strange lines of code you have to use.

I am not very excited about ubuntu touch too, but there we have at least
qt and c++ and maybe even python bindings.

I know thats slightly off topic, but it relates a bit to the situation
why there are so few free software is availible for android.

We have at the moment around 2000 Apps in F-droid and 780 ("opensource")
real apps for ubuntu touch and around 180 scopes and another 340 App
snaps including a native emacs "app".

When you understand that the first phone with ubuntu touch was sold
9/2014 and only one device was sold in lower numbers, while the Nexus
One hit 1/2010 the market that numbers of u-touch apps is very impressive.

Also focus more on ubuntu touch (and I am open to other suggestions)
would not lower the development (time) costs, but also the reusability
of code, some c++ / python code can be used in opensource desktop
programs. You basicly only have to replace the gui at worst if the ubuntu
libs dont do that automaticly for you, while Android apps are nearly
worthless outside android.

Its a big Vendor-Lockin despite beeing opensource the investment in the
javaplattform and the google environment are huge.

Hope thats not to off-topic. Most apps do very little things still they
are extremly hard to develop, cause nearly no opensource developer uses
java.

java is ok for some enterprise things or serverside, but its just not
good for user-application/apps development.

I am not shure if that relates to your topic, but people should maybe
consider for which plattform to develop makes most sense.