Re: [O] PDF font

From: Philip Hudson
Subject: Re: [O] PDF font
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 00:22:36 +0100

On 7 October 2016 at 23:14, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> Philip Hudson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Question: How do I specify how an Org element appears in the
>> corresponding exported PDF? Specifically the typeface (font).
>>

> E.g.
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{palatino}

Right, that's one of the packages I found reference to. Nice, but not
what I need.

>> Meta-question: Where might this question be answered that I haven't
>> looked? I haven't managed to find it in the manual or on Worg using a
>> fairly exhaustive variety of search terms. I've read an awful lot of
>> stuff that I more-or-less completely fail to understand about LaTeX,
>> something of which I currently know nothing, but I'm nevertheless
>> pretty sure none of what I've read actually addresses my question. The
>> nearest I came was reference to a small number of predefined packages
>> of three fonts each (serif, sans, mono) which I could switch between.
>> None of them match my requirement.
>
> This is indeed a LaTeX question,

I think that's really all I need to know.

Conclusion: There is no native Org-mode markup beyond
bold/italic/underline that can change LaTeX/PDF text styling; it can
only be done with embedded LaTeX escapes.

For my use case, I'll try changing to exporting to HTML with embedded
CSS, then converting the HTML to PDF using htmldoc.

Thanks, Nick.

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63