Re: [O] Calc: Multiply time (hours) with a float

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Calc: Multiply time (hours) with a float
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 15:18:16 +0200

* Michael Welle <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> [...]
>>> or converting $2 to a number before the calculation should work also,
>>> but is more to write ;).
>>
>> Hm. I still got #ERROR. I reduced my issue to calculate the float (for hours)
>> without multiplying it with "value":
> strange. I use the current Org version from git and Emacs 25.1.
>
>> | time [h:m:s] |   value | product |
>> |--------------+---------+---------|
>> |     09:15:00 | 2.54321 | #ERROR  |
>>
>> #+TBLFM: @2$3='(org-time-string-to-hours $1)
> That works for me. The default interpretation of $1 is used and
> therefore the value is fed into o-t-s-t-h as string.

OK, this is my current issue then.

I'm using Org from git/maint version 8.3.4
(release_8.3.4-33-gd522fc) and GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32
Windows) as well as Emacs 24.4.1 on GNU/Linux.

Can somebody confirm my #ERROR behavior?

>> #+TBLFM: @2$3='(org-time-string-to-hours $1);L
> That doesn't work. I'm not sure, but I guess it is because you asked for
> literal interpretation and it is not clear what that would mean for
> 09:15:00.

I'd say the same.

>> #+TBLFM: @2$3='(org-time-string-to-hours "$1");N
> Here you ask for interpretation as numbers. So the o-t-s-t-h function
> sees a stringified 9 as it's parameter value. Near, but still no t-shirt ;).

I was wondering whether or not the stringification is done before or
after the number-conversion - as a test. It's an #ERROR anyway.

>> ... each of the TBLFM results in the same error.
> Well, none of them looks like the one I wrote:
>
> #+TBLFM: @2$3='(* $2 (org-time-string-to-hours "$1"));L

... which I tried first, got an #ERROR and analyzed the issue.
Narrowing down to '(org-time-string-to-hours $1) is my issue since
I now understand the handling of $2 which is according to the
documentation.

> You said, that gives an error, too. I have no idea, why. You can use
> (message...) and (type-of ...) to look at the types and values that you
> feed into your functions. Maybe that gives some insight?

(type-of ...) -> very helpful

| time [h:m:s] |   value | product |
|--------------+---------+---------|
|     09:15:00 | 2.54321 | #ERROR  |
#+TBLFM: @2$3='(message (type-of (org-time-string-to-hours $1)))
#+TBLFM: @2$3='(type-of (org-time-string-to-hours $1))

... both formulas lead to #ERROR in @2$3 with no message in the
*Message* buffer.

>From my understanding, the first one should have caused an output of
the type in the *Message* buffer and the second one should have
placed something like "integer" into @2$3. Am I correct?

> The variant with converting $2 to a number is:
> #+TBLFM: @2$3='(* (string-to-number $2) (org-time-string-to-hours $1))

Since the issue is with $1, the (string-to-number $2) (which is
working) doesn't fix the #ERROR issue of $1 :-(

Thank you *very* much for your explanations! I (and hopefully many
others as well) am learning a lot here.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github