Re: [O] new link parameters and link abbreviations

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] new link parameters and link abbreviations
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 21:03:59 -0400

I can confirm this happens. I think it happens because the abbreviation
is not listed in org-plain-link-re, so when the bracket link is
activated, no type is ever defined (it is done by a group in the
org-plain-link-re). The type is somewhat fundamental to the activation
function, as it is used to look up all the link properties, and hence
you get the default help (and all other properties too).

I haven't thought of a simple fix though. It would involve adding the
abbreviations to the known link types, and some kind of lookup for when
the type in a link is not in org-link-parameters that resolves the type
to something in org-link-parameters. Since the abbreviations seem to
have quite flexible format, it isn't obvious how to do that robustly,
without changing the abbreviation syntax.

I would suggest just defining short links ;) It seems like you can
probably build the abbreviation functionality into the follow function
right?