Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 15:43:34 -0300

Aloha Thomas.

Sorry the late reply.

[...]
>> + what is the difference between using the :ignore: tag and add
>> "COMMENT" as the first characters in the line (the native Org mechanism
>> to prevent export)? I tried them and didn't saw the difference.

> With the :ignore: tag the headline is ignored, but the text below it is
> exported.  This is useful for situations like the front matter of a
> book, which is mostly assembled by LaTeX.  The :ignore: tag allows you
> to isolate the various LaTeX commands in your document so they are
> separate from the headings with text that you'll write, but still
> contribute to the export.

Ah, got it. Useful indeed, thanks. :)

>> + if I put a plain text link in a sidenote (like
>> "\sidenote{see http://AgileManifesto.org}";), it doesn't get
>> automagically converted to a link as it is in the text body. It appears
>> as normal text and without the \url{...}, so it doesn't look and doesn't
>> act as a link.

> IIUC, I think you need to tell Org mode that this is a link:
> \sidenote{see [[http://AgileManifesto.org]]}.

I tried it and still I have some issues...

I have Org-mode version 8.3.1 (8.3.1-95-g1dbb25-elpaplus) and GNU Emacs
24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10).

Using the same org document as source, if I use the standard latex
export everything seems fine (except this sidenote link that does not
get hiperlinked as URL), but if I use tufte-latex (with "require
'ox-tufte-latex" in my .emacs file) I have a "PDF file produced with
errors" message. However, I can't spot the difference between both files
with my eyes (they have the same size, but diff says they are
different).

In both cases -orglatex and tuftelatex- the sidenote linke gets rendered
with the double brackets around and not as clickable URL.

How can I give you more info to diagnose this case?

>> + using links as specific Latex markup seems a great idea. However, the
>> links face definition makes it specially visible, and impossible to
>> separate from any other URL since the properties are hidden. Can that be
>> tweaked (maybe not it your class, of course, but in the .emacs file or
>> similar), so as to keep the writing flow unperturbed?
>
> I agree that it would be useful to make the appearance of links in the
> Org mode buffer configurable on a per-link basis.  Different colors for
> different kinds of link might go some way to resolving the visual
> ambiguities you describe.  However, I don't think this is currently
> possible.

Pity, but completely understandable.
Is it possible to do that in org for latex fragments (like putting
f"\sidenote{" and the closing "}" in a lighter face)?

Sorry if this is obvious but I'm relatively new to the Emacs-verse.

> [...] In practice, I mouse over the link to see the link type in the
> minibuffer.

Great tip!

Again, thank you org-tufte-latex. I can be a heavy user of this system,
so I hope to be of help to make it even better. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos