Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 12:05:57 +0100

Hi,

Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> writes:

It would indeed be easy to modify ox-latex.el so it supports the non-standard commands of the Tufte LaTeX package. I can send patches to that effect, if you like. Ox-latex would need to recognize a few new LaTeX attributes and export marginfigure, marginnote, and sidenote commands. I hijacked footnote for sidenote, so this would probably need some work to recognize when one or the other was needed.

I've skimmed through the "sample-handout.pdf" of the tufte-latex pkg. marginfigure seems to be pretty similar to a figure except that the environment is changed. I wonder if it would be enough to allow an :environment attribute to an image?

Marginnotes. I don’t think we have a concept like this. I guess it would be an attribute to a footnote. Which you incidentally asked about. Would you use more than one type of footnotes in a single document?

Perhaps one could define footnote types, e.g. we now have [fn:N] pointing to a footnote. [xx:] could point to a note of type XX. Of course what does this mean outside of LaTeX? Perhaps an explicit margin note would be more feasible. I don’t know if this is general interest though...

I don’t understand the difference between margin notes and sidenotes from a 10 seconds skim.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
You people at the NSA are becoming my new best friends!