Re: [O] Errors get suppressed by org-babel-execute-src-block

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Errors get suppressed by org-babel-execute-src-block
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 12:59:13 -0500

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> 2016ko otsailak 11an, Nick Dokos-ek idatzi zuen:
>>
>> Not sure if there are tests for remote babel execution,
>
> AFAIK no.  It would be useful to have these.  All the machines I use run
> Linux and are configured very similarly.  Many of the problems in remote
> execution come from differences in environments.  So it would be good if
> someone could figure out how to test common configurations.  Until that
> happens, we have to rely on ad hoc testing or user reports.

I think tramp is pretty good at handling environment differences (and if
not, Michael is pretty responsive at modifying it to fix whatever
breakage people uncover), so for org-mode even simple tests in homogeneous
environments should be useful (e.g. using localhost as the "remote", or
the name of the machine that runs the test: not sure how much
optimization is done at various levels, but it might be enough to test
the remote code paths.)

>> but if not, please make sure to test that (with :dir set to some
>> directory on a different machine). Michael Albinus had done some work
>> to get that working a few years ago:
>
> AFAICS my patch does not affect the work Michael did.  I will test some
> simple remote execution scenarios before I push the patch, just in case.

OK - good!

>> BTW, I tried to test, but applying the patch to current master
>> (8eff64cffee8627578edc33de485201ae579fafe) fails:
>
> Nicolas pushed some big changes to babel just after I sent my patch.
> (Big in terms of the diff to the code, not necessarily in terms of
> changing user behavior).  I haven’t looked in detail, but it’s almost
> guaranteed that the patch now needs to be rebased, which I’ll do as
> soon as I can.

Thanks! If you post the patch, I'll try out some simple tests over the
weekend too.

--
Nick