Re: [O] Fill-up Kanban board with entries

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Fill-up Kanban board with entries
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 23:47:45 -0500

Shakthi Kannan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following test.org file:
>
> === test.org ===
>
> * Kanban board
> | TODO | NEXT | STARTED | WAITING | DONE | CANCELED |
> |------+------+---------+---------+------+----------|
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |

> #+TBLFM: @1='(kanban-headers $#)::@2$1..@>$>='(kanban-zero $# @# "TAG"
> '("test.org"))
>
> #+TBLFM: @1='(kanban-headers $#)::@2$1..@>$>='(kanban-todo @#
> @2$2..@>$> "TAG" '("test.org"))
>
> * READING
> ** TODO Book A
> ** TODO Book B
> * WRITING
> ** Article
> ** WAITING Blog post
> * HOME
> ** Errands
>
> === END ===
>
> The different states that I use are listed in the org-table header. I
> am able to use the first TBLFM to clear the entries. But, using "C-c
> C-c" on the second TBLFM doesn't list all the entries in the org-table
> in their respective columns. The expected output should be like:
>
> https://gist.github.com/shakthimaan/7f8e014ad29794672646
>
> What could I be missing? I am using Org-mode version 8.2.10 with GNU Emacs
> 24.5.
>
> Appreciate any help in this regard,
>
> Thanks!

I took a quick look: one thing that is wrong is that you copied the
TBLFM lines from kanban.el verbatim, but they don't apply to your file
as they stand - e.g. they seem to be looking for a tag but you don't
have any in your test file. Try replacing "TAG" with nil and see if that
gets you further. But my hunch is that the kanban-* functions are either
buggy or they have not been kept up to date with recent developments in
org, so they are not going to work even after that change. Your best bet
might be to contact the author of kanban.el: it is not part of org-mode
after all (not even in contrib).

Suggestion for the future: if you are using functions outside org-mode
proper in your question, please provide either the code of the functions
themselves or at least a URL where one can find the code. And make the
example complete: I had to add a #+TODO: line for all the states in
order for kanban-headers to work.

--
Nick