Re: [O] Some projects

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Some projects
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 13:28:33 -0700

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Right, I'd forgotten the distinction. I really only use orgstruct for
>> plain/numbered list editing (and I guess the occasional table), and
>> filling/indentation is pretty key there.
>
> AFAIK, this doesn't work in commented lines (e.g., when using orgstruct
> with init.el).

That's something I've never tried. TBH, I only use orgstruct mode when
writing emails. But there I use it quite a bit.

>>> I think OrgStruct may be redefined as an outline minor mode with Org
>>> bindings. This is very different from Org. Even indentation and filling
>>> should be new functions since Org's recognizes context that doesn't make
>>> sense in OrgStruct.
>>
>> Would that mean that lists and tables wouldn't be supported?
>
> ATM tables are supported via orgstruct++-mode, though at list basic list
> support is provided by orgstruct-mode.

Right, but my question is about a future reworking of the library.
Nicolas mentions refactoring it onto the outline mode, which AFAIK
doesn't do lists or tables.

>> The unfortunate thing about tabulated list mode, which I otherwise
>> really like, isn't able to show multi-line list items. That really
>> crimps its usefulness in showing footnotes and annotations, since you
>> can only see the first line.  Bummer.
>
> Did you open a bug for this?

I posted a query on emacs.help, prior to opening a bug :)

>>> Of course. Refactoring (e.g., replacing `setq' with `let'), adding code
>>> comments, tests, using Element where applicable is always good.
>>
>> Okay. I thought there might be some big chunk of Org that needed to be
>> shifted over on top of elements.
>
> There’s plenty of stuff to refactor in org.el, org-agenda.el etc.

I was fishing for something more specific, but if there aren't any
desperate necessities, I guess that's a good thing. I'll take a look.

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-10-27, at 19:53, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I can adapt the code from org-annotate. The unfortunate thing about
>> tabulated list mode, which I otherwise really like, isn't able to show
>> multi-line list items. That really crimps its usefulness in showing
>> footnotes and annotations, since you can only see the first line.
>> Bummer.
>
> BTW: have you looked at EWOC?
>
> http://mbork.pl/2015-07-18_TLM_vs_EWOC,_or_there_and_back_again

I had not, and that was really interesting! Thanks for the link. On
balance, I'd like TLM to support this, but we'll see what people think.