Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 18:10:08 +0200

Hi John,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 09:51:53AM -0400, John Kitchin wrote:

> Most important maybe: figure out how to merge narrative text in version
> control! I don't want to write a sentence per line just to use the
> default merge with git. I really want a word-based track-change like
> diff, and merge.

Ages ago there was a GSoC project, Org merge driver, for use with git.
I don't recall what was the last status.  Okay, found some info:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/git-merge-tool/

Would be good to somehow revive this.  I guess it's not an easy problem.
If I remember correctly, there was no prior discussion on the list what
should be the merge strategy.  It happened as the project progressed.  I
think this is one of those projects where a clear path/plan how to
proceed before writing any code would be very beneficial.

Maybe someone can propose a plan?

Cheers,

--
Suvayu