Re: [O] problem with ox-pandoc export

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] problem with ox-pandoc export
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:50:20 +0200

Hello,

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>
>>> So this is not a Pandoc export back-end (i.e. a back-end that
>>> translates Org syntax into Pandoc's extended Markdown syntax).
>
>> If the pandoc back-end is some flavor of Markdown, shouldn't it be
>> better named `ox-md-pandoc'?
>
> Which one are you talking about, the one from ELPA or the one
> I suggest adding to core?

The latter.

> The former doesn't translate to Markdown at all. It simply calls
> pandoc on an Org document to produce something else. It depends on how
> well pandoc's Org importer behaves, i.e, how much Org syntax it does
> support.
>
> Therefore, I suggest to write an Org to native pandoc's syntax. It
> would be derived from "ox-md" but that doesn't mean its name must be
> prefixed with "ox-md",

I'd think it'd make more sense, yes.

> consider, for example "ox-beamer" and "ox-latex".

Even if it's not necessarily like that for all cases.

_My_ point of view is simply to make `ox-pandoc' more visible as an
alternative option when one wants to export to Markdown: simply by
looking at file names, by Googling or by looking at "require" calls used
in other's configs, one would expect that `ox-md' and `ox-md-pandoc'
would both generate "markdown".

For Beamer, it could be similar, except that people don't necessarily
search for "latex" when trying to export to "beamer".

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban