Re: [O] problem with ox-pandoc export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] problem with ox-pandoc export
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:34:08 +0200

Hello,

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:

>> So this is not a Pandoc export back-end (i.e. a back-end that translates
>> Org syntax into Pandoc's extended Markdown syntax).

> If the pandoc back-end is some flavor of Markdown, shouldn't it be
> better named `ox-md-pandoc'?

Which one are you talking about, the one from ELPA or the one I suggest
adding to core?

The former doesn't translate to Markdown at all. It simply calls pandoc
on an Org document to produce something else. It depends on how well
pandoc's Org importer behaves, i.e, how much Org syntax it does support.

Therefore, I suggest to write an Org to native pandoc's syntax. It would
be derived from "ox-md" but that doesn't mean its name must be prefixed
with "ox-md", consider, for example "ox-beamer" and "ox-latex".

> BTW, when looking at Markdown formats known by Pandoc, there are:
>
> - Pandoc markdown
> - Pandoc markdown_github
> - Pandoc markdown_mmd
> - Pandoc markdown_phpextra
> - Pandoc markdown_strict
>
> Is the Pandoc back-end exporting the flavor known as "Pandoc
> markdown"?

See above.

Regards,

--