Re: [O] sip: links

From: Christian Thaeter
Subject: Re: [O] sip: links
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:02:02 +0200

On 2015-06-22 11:27, Michael Strey wrote:

> On So, 2015-06-21, Christian Thaeter wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > looks good, I'll use that instead of my hack.
>
> Look out for bugs.  It's one of my very first emacs-lisp hacks.
>
> > I've a minor ideas to add:
> >
> > Instead just append the telephone number to the end of the
> > dial command one could use (org-replace-escapes STRING TABLE), that
> > allows little more flexible commandline generation.
>
> Thanks for the hint.  Could you please give me an example where this
> increased flexibility would be required?

I am using linphone too, where that just works to append the
sanitized telephone number at the end. But I can imagine that other
dial programs may have different calling conventions. Also I may feel a
bit safer by quoting the telephone number, For example:

  linephone -c 'sip:%n'

Maybe in the long run (I have no urge here, works for me now).
You/we/someone could make this whole thing more generic, handling
different kinds of communication protocols (I made another one for
xmpp: meanwhile).

tel: urls are somewhat simple https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3966.txt
(still surprisingly more syntax than just a number) but when you look
at sip: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#section-19.1 things get way
more complicated.

        Christian