Re: [O] Confusing creation of frames and windows

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Confusing creation of frames and windows
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 08:51:22 +0100

On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 18:08, M wrote:
> I'm not sure where exactly my problem comes from, but I find it quite
> confusing how Emacs / org-mode creates new frames or does show something in
> the existing frame or window.
>
> Is there a tutorial or a best-practice setup to get it easy and intuitive?

Not that I am aware of.  Usually, the behaviour will be controlled by
some variable.  For instance, in org, when asking for an agenda view
(org-agenda), the following variable controls what it does in terms of
frames and windows within frames:

,----[ C-h v org-agenda-window-setup RET ]
| org-agenda-window-setup is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
| Its value is current-window
| Original value was reorganize-frame
|
| Documentation:
| How the agenda buffer should be displayed.
| Possible values for this option are:
|
| current-window    Show agenda in the current window, keeping all other
windows.
| other-window      Use `switch-to-buffer-other-window' to display agenda.
| only-window       Show agenda, deleting all other windows.
| reorganize-frame  Show only two windows on the current frame, the current
|                   window and the agenda.
| other-frame       Use `switch-to-buffer-other-frame' to display agenda.
|                   Also, when exiting the agenda, kill that frame.
| See also the variable `org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

Usually, these variables are described in the info manuals.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.1, Org release_8.3beta-1136-g0e7062