Re: [O] Best practices to get reminders?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Best practices to get reminders?
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 17:55:57 +0800

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-04-07, at 06:09, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> At this point I have so much of my life (personal and professional) in
>> Org files that yes, checking the Agenda isn't an issue anymore. It's the
>> first thing I do in the morning, and the last thing I do before knocking
>> off at the end of the day.
>
> I second that, with the exception that I use something else this way (I
> cannot tell what on this list;-)), and one of the reminders in
> that-other-thing is "check the agenda for today before 12:00 am" (and
> I usually do it much earlier).  As soon as I find some time to integrate
> this-other-thing with Org-mode, I might as well go the
> check-the-agenda-every-hour route.

Don't be ashamed, I'm sure we all use some software we're not proud
of :)

Something I've been considering, as part of a general attempt to get
away from my computer a little bit more, is to print out an agenda each
evening detailing the things I need to do the next day. So the last
thing in the evening is taking stock of where I am, going through my Org
files and figuring out what needs to be done, then scheduling things for
the next day, then actually printing out the Agenda for the next
morning. Sure, most of the stuff I need to do needs to be done on the
computer, but if I can schedule even just one non-computer task for the
first thing, and delay "assuming the position" in front of my keyboard
just a bit, I think that's a win.

>> If you're someone who restarts Emacs each morning, you could put a call
>> to `org-agenda' in your init file. The others have mentioned
>> `org-agenda-to-appt', but I find that if you're really using Org to
>> manage your time (checking where you are in the midst of longer
>> projects, clocking, surveying the week ahead, etc) then you'll want to
>> be looking at the Agenda every day.
>
> I used to do that, too, but (1) sometimes I started Emacs when
> e.g. making a presentation and having my laptop attached to an overhead
> projector and (2) some time ago I almost stopped "restarting Emacs",
> I just have it open all the time (well, I /did/ restart it sometimes,
> say, once a week or two).

Sure, I suspected when I wrote that that very few people actually reboot
or restart Emacs every day...