[O] Best practices to get reminders?

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: [O] Best practices to get reminders?
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 19:52:43 -0700

Hello,

I'm just starting to use org-mode. The first thing I'd like to use it
for is to keep track of stuff that I need to do. Writing things up and
calling up the agenda is easy enough, and I really like how-much
functionality is available in what's essentially a plain text document.

However, there's one thing where I feel lost. I don't expect to be
editing my orgmode files on a daily basis (at least not yet), so how can
I make sure that I don't miss an important deadline? It seems to me that
it doesn't help much if instead of worrying to forget a deadline I now
have to worry about forgetting to check my org-mode agenda...

How do other people handle this? Is everyone else opening and working on
their org files daily so that this becomes a non-issue?

Best,
-Nikolaus