Re: [O] on the fragility of export to ODT

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] on the fragility of export to ODT
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:08:15 +0000

On Monday, 16 Feb 2015 at 21:20, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> At this point, I get very long data structures dumped to
>> *Messages*...  difficult to figure out what is wrong.  It's often my
>> mistake but tracking it down is difficult.
>
> You're using an internal link to target a paragraph (possibly a image or
> some such). This is apparently not supported yet by ox-odt (see
> `org-odt-link--infer-description').
>
> Could you try to find out the culprit and explain what you expected so
> I can fix it?

Hi Nicolas,

I have many internal references; in this document, all are to named
tables and figures.

I have tried but haven't managed to track down which one is causing
problems in this case.

I have tried extracting various bits into smaller org files but then the
problems disappear... :(

Part of the problem, I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong), is
that the positions indicated in the error messages are in the buffer
being exported after a certain amount of processing (including, I would
imagine, babel) and so it's difficult to find the actual location of the
problem.

If this is indeed the case, is there any way to retain the buffer that
is being processed at the point the error occurs?

>> However, more importantly, the failure is complete and nothing is
>> exported which does not help me at all.  It would be great if offending
>> paragraphs (elements, objects, whatever) would be skipped over and the
>> rest of the document generated.  Is this possible?
>
> At the moment, I think it is better to fix the errors than to ignore
> them. There are quite a few "FIXME" in ox-odt.

Okay, that's fine.

In any case, I'm in no panic as I have simply sent the PDF to my
co-author and that's good enough for now.  Eventually, I may need to get
the DOC version but I can keep my fingers crossed and hope it doesn't
come to that...

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.1, Org release_8.3beta-820-gd92ef9