Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:51:36 -0500

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

IMO we /need/ to add proper citation support to Org, preferably with a
real syntax rather than these link-"solutions" and with good backend
support (bibtex & Zotero for starters, I guess).

#+begin_rant

The current state is a mess and not portable.  E.g. there's at least two
Zotero projects, there's John Kitchin's code, there's ox-bibtex.el (which
IMO is not suitable for complicated citation requirements), plus everyone
and their mother's have got custom citation links in their config via
custom org link types...

/Proper/ citation support (not links) is, IMO, the last thing that is
missing for good academic publishing support.

#+end_rant

—Rasmus

(I know about zotxt -- is there another zotero project?)

I am certainly not the person to implement anything "properly!" But I do agree -- if we had great citation support, with bibtex and Zotero undrestood as portable backends, then (a) i would really be able to work in org start to finish, and (b) I could start to recommend it to colleagues, as I'm itching to do.

In the meantime, I think zotxt is the best starting point for me.  But I would certainly be willing to test, debug, contribute minor patches, etc. to anyone who wants to take the project on properly (it is almost certainly beyond my limited skills).