Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:17:08 -0500

I have not found the link syntax too constraining. Simple links like the
ones I use in org-ref are perfect for simple citation needs. It handles
all different kinds of citations (cite, citet, textcite,...) and
multiple citations. org-ref automates selection of keys and insertion
via reftex or helm. They are all we need for the kind of scientific
publication my group does. We have published six peer-reviewed
publications so far with just these simple links. I do concede that if
you use many "non-simple: features of biblatex, you are heading for
trouble with links. You can probably just use raw LaTeX then.

[[textcite:KEY]] is not required unless KEY has some particular
characters like spaces or other link-breaking characters. textcite:KEY
works just fine for me.

I do agree that \textcite[pre][post]{KEY} is trickier and uglier to
solve. I have only found this approach

[[textcite:KEY][pre text::post text]]

to work particularly well, and you have to parse the description in the
export. I use :: as the divider, since it seems unlikely to be in either
element. It takes a little more thought to automate insertion of these,
but the link insertion machinery of org-mode will do it in org-ref.  If
you use descriptive links in org-mode, it collapses into just the
description, which I don't like but live with. The newest org-ref has a
minibuffer message feature that should show you a summary of the
citation when your cursor is idle on that link though.

I don't want to start a war over links vs dedicated element for
citations. I just want to point out that links work really well for a
large set of use cases, and other solutions are not likely to be as
simple to use. My thoughts are biased of course since I have invested a
lot of time and thought into org-ref, and I don't see the limitations you
suggest in our daily work.

If you send me some examples of what is not easy, maybe we can see if
org-ref can do it.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F