Re: [O] Org mode installation problems

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode installation problems
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 21:23:05 -0500

Felix Fernandes <address@hidden> writes:

>> Any suggestions on how to fix the installation problems? I have placed
>> package-initialize at the beginning of my .emacs but that doesn't help.
>
> I re-installed org-mode from elpa after deleting all org-related entries
> from my .emacs (I don't have init.el) and ensuring that no org buffers were
> open. After the installation I observed the following information from the
> elpa entry:
>     org is an installed package.

>              shadowing a built-in package.
>     Version: 20150105
>
> So, it appears to be installed correctly. However, the obsolete function M-x
> org-export-icalendar-this-file is still available (it shouldn't be) and the
> keyboard test macro that I mentioned in my previous post fails.
>
> According to available documentation, I have followed the correct procedure
> to update org from the built-in installation. But it doesn't work. Please
> advise. Thanks.
>
> Information on my state after the update is below:

You must have something in your initialization file that pulls in the
old org-icalendar file, either an explicit require or something that
autoloads it.

Try loading a minimal init file (e.g. check

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/80179/focus=80213

for an example) and start emacs with

   emacs -q -l /path/to/minimal/.emacs

If org-export-icalendar-this-file is undefined (as it should be), then
the problem is somewhere in your .emacs file. So start eliminating stuff
from it, until you find out what causes the problem.

Nick