[O] Multi-file and master files

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: [O] Multi-file and master files
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 09:54:06 +0100

I've been writing a long document in org-mode recently. I decided to use
org-mode for two reasons: firstly, I wrote the outline plan in org
anyway and switching tools was irritating; second, I want both PDF and
HTML output. My tool of choice would have been latex and auctex where it
not for the HTML requirement.

Setting it up was a little difficult, but in general it's going okay
now. However, I am really missing the notion of "master" documents from
auctex. I have a "main" file which just includes other files each of
which contain a specific section.

Now, the export functionality works, but many org commands appear not
to work propertly. So, for example, footnotes adds new footnotes
starting from 1 in each file, but in the HTML export the earlier
footnotes get overwritten. Likewise, there is no good tool for putting
in crosslinks, compared to reftex in latex.

Am I missing things here? Or would it make more sense to move to latex,
with all the hacking that this entails for the HTML output.

Phil