[O] Custom formatting during export

From: Gabe Becker
Subject: [O] Custom formatting during export
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 06:36:37 -0700

orgmode developers and power-users,

I'd like to be able to declare custom entities (apologies if I'm using that term incorrectly) within the text of an orgmode document which I can specify custom formatting for when my .org is exported, e.g. to PDF or HTML.

I have a background in Docbook, so the analogue there would be defining a custom xml tag and then extending the XSL files to handle it as desired. Please see the following snippet:

* section title

Here is some text, but I want [specialthing: this bit here] to be formatted differently than [newanddifferent: this other big over here].

Where I would have defined specific custom formatting rules for "specialthing" and "newanddifferent" type entities.

Is there a way to do this in orgmode? If not, it seems like it would be a very useful feature (at least to me:) ). Note: I don't care about the syntax as long as the result is the same.

Thanks for your help,
~G
--
Computational Biologist