Re: [O] Custom formatting during export

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Custom formatting during export
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 06:44:23 -1000

Aloha Gabe,

Gabe Becker <address@hidden> writes:

> orgmode developers and power-users,
>
> I'd like to be able to declare custom entities (apologies if I'm using that
> term incorrectly) within the text of an orgmode document which I can
> specify custom formatting for when my .org is exported, e.g. to PDF or HTML.
>
> I have a background in Docbook, so the analogue there would be defining a
> custom xml tag and then extending the XSL files to handle it as desired.
> Please see the following snippet:
>

> * section title
>
> Here is some text, but I want [specialthing: this bit here] to be formatted
> differently than [newanddifferent: this other big over here].
>

> Where I would have defined specific custom formatting rules for
> "specialthing" and "newanddifferent" type entities.
>
> Is there a way to do this in orgmode? If not, it seems like it would be a
> very useful feature (at least to me:) ). Note: I don't care about the
> syntax as long as the result is the same.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> ~G
> --
> Computational Biologist
> Genentech Research
> orgmode developers and power-users,

Macros, links, derived back-ends -- so many ways to achieve what you
want.  Here is another:

@@html:<b>@@bold text@@html:</b>@@

#+HTML: Literal HTML code for export

#+BEGIN_HTML
 All lines between these markers are exported literally
#+END_HTML

For pdf export via LaTeX there are @@latex, #+LATEX, and #+BEGIN_LATEX
... #+END_LATEX.

hth,