Re: [O] Setup Org-mode to write diary.

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] Setup Org-mode to write diary.
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 08:30:03 +0100

stardiviner <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to know how to configure Org-mode to write diary with a easy way.
> I hope someone can provide his way.
>
> Here is what I think what Org-mode write diary should have.
>
> - [ ] *open/create* a buffer to write current day's diary quickly.
> - [ ] *navigate* diary entry like viewing day entries in Calendar.
> - [ ] *manage* diary files with some kind of style like (date, folder, etc).
> - [ ] *search* diary content.
>
> If you have some hints, welcome to tell me, thanks in advance.

I've kept a diary in org-mode for a year and a half now, like this -
* July
** 26 Sat
   blah de blah, etc!

** 27 Sun
   not yet, it isn't here yet!

Using that way it is auto-menued [is there such a word? I can't think of
a better way of putting it, sorry!] with "Imenu" so it is easy to go
back to a specific day. But I have found that I can't have more that 3
months worth of postings in a buffer, without things slowing down and
seeming to get slightly corrupted. So at the end of every quarter, I
transfer postings over from "2014a.org" to "2014.org", which isn't very
often used or accessed, but its available if its needed.

Hope it helps
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1