Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:13:05 +0200

Hi Martin!

* M <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Von: Karl Voit <address@hidden>
>>
>> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
>> more at one single place
>>
>> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
>> another script in language B (babel)
>>
>> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
>> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
>> (org-depend)
>>

> that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
> difficult to find.

I am more positive here :-)

> For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
> available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.

The seamless integration might be also true for MS OneNote, you're
probably right. However, there might be major things to add to the
list which OneNote is not able to handle in that combination.

Dependencies are not available except for full-blown
project-management software which do have their overhead. At least I
could not find anything satisfying yet. Please do tell me, which
task/todo-management system is able to do this in a reasonable way.

> You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
> true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.

I think I know most tools out there, tried many, many, many of them
by myself over the previous decades. However, I can not know
everything - I know. As a result, I am trying this
collective/combined approach with this thread and (probably later
on) a Worg page.

I am confident that Org-mode has a number of USPs.

> Some more key selling points form someone who still tries to learn emacs
> just for using org-mode:

A absolutely agree on your list. On the one side, I tend to think
that we've got those lists already in various
feature-highlight-lists. On the other side, I am not aware of a list
of Org-mode USPs that *no* other tool provides.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github