Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode

From: M
Subject: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 14:51:59 +0200

> Von: Karl Voit <address@hidden>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:43:31 +0200
> An: <address@hidden>
> Betreff: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if there are people out there who also need Org-mode
> features that are *not part of any other software solution*. For the
> usual question "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?" I'd like to have
> a list of cool Org-mode features that demonstrate the benefit.
>
> So, how about a short brainstorming here and a new Worg-page
> collecting those things?
>
> I start with:
>
> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
> more at one single place
>
> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
> another script in language B (babel)
>
> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
> (org-depend)

Hi Karl,

that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
difficult to find. For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.

You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.

Some more key selling points form someone who still tries to learn emacs
just for using org-mode:

* platform independent - available for Windows, UNIX and MacOS

* free

* tagging

* powerful filtering and creation of "views" (agendas) from different
perspectives

* 110% customizable with scripting and keybindings

* built on a very robust and well developed application (Emascs)

* many other modules and extensions thanks to Emacs

* all the above with simple plain text format - easy to save, DIFF and
version control

* defining custom templates for new notes/tasks/projects...

* tasks and projects can be broken down hierarchically into subtasks with no
limit in depth

* powerful and customizable export

* time clocking

Martin