Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated

From: Yasushi SHOJI
Subject: Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 03:44:27 +0900

Hi Nicolas,

At Fri, 28 Feb 2014 00:43:19 +0100,
Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If it is not, I suggest to discuss the change before implementing it.
> > Nobody ever complained about the previous behavior, and both Michael
> > and me are suppporting it.
>
> I didn't remove that non-essential feature for my pleasure, but because
> it didn't fit in the new internal model. As I already said, implementing
> it back is a bit of work and will probably not be very clean. Why
> bother?

Let's separate those internal parser thing and interactive commands,
while we discus. I agree to Nicolas that parser and internal functions
should NOT be ambiguous nor confusing.

However, we humans are not machines nor slave of computers.  We tell
computers what we want, or even, we want to make computers think and
do what we are thinking. That's the reason why we, these days, have
*-dwim commands.  We don't want to make our users to adopt how
computers work.

> Anyway, I don't understand why there is so much fuss about this.

That's because a) the commands have been working, b) many other
commands _do_ work even if it's not right on the elements. ie. S-right
right after a timestamp, C-c C-c on checkbox list.  Are you planning
to remove these features, too?

> I think that the coolness of the feature eludes me for all I can see is
> a crude hack.

What if we create org-open-at-point-dwim and map to C-c C-o.  Nicolas,
do you object?

Anyway, thank you Nicolas for your work.  We all appreciate your great
work.

Thanks,
--
            yashi