Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 10:56:54 -0500

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> The purpose is to be polite with minor modes and to not use
> C-c [:punct:] keybindings, as recommended in the Elisp manual.
>
> This is related to the issues reported here:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-01/msg00866.html
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/82010
>
> Here is a table to summarise the proposal:
>
> | Key   | Command                           | Proposal         | Status |
> |-------+-----------------------------------+------------------+--------|
> | C-c # | Checkboxes                        | C-c x            | Free   |
> | C-c ~ | Cooperation                       | C-c C-~          | Free   |
> | C-c , | Priorities                        | C-c C-,          | Free   |
> | C-c ? | Editing and debugging formulas    | C-c C-?          | Free   |
> | C-c ! | Creating timestamps               | C-c C-!          | Free   |
> | C-c . | Creating timestamps               | C-c C-.          | Free   |
> | C-c ` | Built-in table editor             | C-c C-`          | Free   |
> |-------+-----------------------------------+------------------+--------|
> | C-c ' | Editing and debugging formulas    | C-c " or C-c C-' | Free   |
> | C-c ^ | Structure editing, plain lists... | C-c C-^          | Taken  |
> | C-c @ | Structure editing                 | C-c <            | Taken  |
>
> The order is from the less problematic ones to the more problematic ones.
>
> A few comments on the last three:
>
> - " is not a punctuation character, I find C-c " instead of C-c ' good.

On a QWERTY keyboard or Dvorak keyboard, " requires Shifting, so you
have to switch horses midstream (first Control, then SHift). Not sure
about anybody else, but those are the most problematic key sequences for
me. I would much prefer C-c C-': you just keep the Control key pressed
for the duration.

--
Nick