Re: [O] [RFC] Move ox-koma-letter into core?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Move ox-koma-letter into core?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:50:49 -0500

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> The separate repo could be a submodule of Org's core repo and its
> contents could even make it into the .tar.gz and .zip files.

I'm not sure that submodules are robust enough.  I tried using them for
a small project and found them wanting (that was a couple of years ago, so
there may be have changes to git to make things better). I then used the
alternate strategy described in Chacon's book (git subtree merging) and
ended up in a tangle: I had to tease the repos apart manually. I now do
things more manually, but (to me) more transparently.

This may very well have been me tripping over my shoelaces of course, and
a more knowledgeable git admin might have been able to make things work
better than I did. But I think it would behoove us to step into those
waters with a fair amount of caution, a backup strategy and lots of
experimentation and documentation, before we take the leap.

Nick