Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 18:05:32 +0100

Hi François,

Thanks for working on org-grep.  It looks interesting.

Excuse me if I misunderstood something below.

François Pinard <address@hidden> writes:

> Whenever I visit a "gnus:" type link from Org, it has the side effect of
> "reading" the article in Gnus parlance, forcing me to "unread" it each
> time afterwards.  If I forget to unread it, which is a likely error, the
> article will not be shown if I later visit its mailgroup using Gnus in a
> regular way.  So in practice, it is kind of forever lost.
> [...]
> This is a sad side-effect of "gnus:" links.  In this area, Org should
> immediately unread any "gnus:" link it follows, or else and maybe even
> better, leave the reached article with the flags it already has.

You read it, no?  How can it not be marked read when you read it?

Perhaps you would like to the following on mailgroups you care about
(from the *Groups* buffer):

    G c C-s Display S-TAB RET TAB RET 1 TAB 100 M-< TAB TAB RET

Also, you can search with nnir using GG or C-u GG (but links probably
won't work from a nnir buffer).

> If the user explicitly saved the article in an Org file using
> "org-store-link", (s)he surely though of it as kind of permanent,
> and Org should then not "read" it, even the user did not "bang" it.

I cannot reproduce using the following receipt:

  1. Mark an article as important with '!',
     (gnus-summary-tick-article-forward N)
  1. (org-store-link)
  2. org-insert-link with the above link in org-buffer
  3. Open link.  My tick is preserved.

I can also change the mark to gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable and
preserve the link.  I cannot preserve an unread mark when I read it,
but it shouldn't 'cause I read the article. . .

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?