Re: [O] Export each top level heading to separate file

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Export each top level heading to separate file
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 16:56:46 -0500

hmm.. I don't know if it was a bug, I ran the code on my system before sending it, and it worked for me ;) I am glad you figured it out on your system.

you could avoid the double if statements like this:

(defun my-exp-headings-to-markdown ()
  "Export each top-level heading to markdown."
  (interactive)
  (org-map-entries
   (lambda ()
     (let ((level (nth 1 (org-heading-components)))
           (title (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))
       (when (= level 1)
         (org-entry-put (point) "EXPORT_FILE_NAME" title)
         (org-md-export-to-markdown nil 1 nil)))))
   nil nil))

The when macro is like an if macro, with no else body.

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Ista Zahn <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 8:40 AM, John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Try this:
>

> (org-map-entries
>              (lambda ()
>                (let ((level (nth 1 (org-heading-components)))
>                      (title (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))
>                  (if (= level 1)
>                      (org-entry-put (point) ":EXPORT_FILE_NAME:" title))))
>  nil nil)
>
> It seems to do what you want.

Dear John,

Thank you thank you! Using your code as I template I managed to write
a function that does what I wanted:

(defun my-exp-headings-to-markdown ()
  "Export each top-level heading to markdown."
  (interactive)
  (org-map-entries
   (lambda ()
     (let ((level (nth 1 (org-heading-components)))
  (title (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))
       (if (= level 1)
  (org-entry-put (point) "EXPORT_FILE_NAME" title))
       (if (= level 1)
  (org-md-export-to-markdown nil 1 nil))))
   nil nil))

Note that I had to remove the ":" from the second argument to
"org-entry-put" to get it working properly on my system. Not sure if
that was a bug in your original example or not.

Best,
Ista