Re: [O] Limit subtree to a specific export backend

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Limit subtree to a specific export backend
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:36:20 +0200

Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden> writes:

> I presume, I can set "org-export-filter-options-functions" as a
> directory-local variable, so that this kind of export restrictions
> only applies to Org mode documents in the specific project.

Probably.  There was some discussions on it lately.  Check the
archive.

>> Here's an example that's perhaps a bit too verbose and not thoroughly
>> tested:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC Org
>> #+TITLE: Conditional export
>> * Common intro
>>   txt
>> ** Pdf heading                                                        :latex:
>>    the math is really pretty!
>> ** HTML heading                                                        :html:
>>    the text features hyperlinks!
>> ** More common notes
>>    Intro over
>>
>> * Code                                                             :noexport:
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>   (defun rasmus/conditional-export (settings backend)
>>     "Change SETTINGS to include dynamically set export-tags.
>>
>>     Enable the use of BACKEND as EXPORT_TAGS.  A derived backend is
>>     treated as its parent."
>>     (let ((backends (remove-duplicates
>>                      (mapcar (lambda (x)
>>                                (or (org-export-backend-parent x)
>>                                    (org-export-backend-name x)))
>>                              org-export--registered-backends)))
>>           ;; for treating derived backend and parent backends differently:
>>           ;; (backend-or-parent backend)
>>           (backend-or-parent (dolist (b org-export--registered-backends
>> return)
>>                                (when  (eq (org-export-backend-name b)
>> backend)
>>                                  (return (or (org-export-backend-parent b)
>>                                              (org-export-backend-name
>> b)))))))
>>       (plist-put
>>        settings :exclude-tags
>>        (append (plist-get settings :exclude-tags)
>>                (mapcar 'symbol-name
>>                        (remove backend-or-parent backends))))))
>>
>>   (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-options-functions
>> 'rasmus/conditional-export)
>> #+end_src
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Do I understand correctly, that this code adds all *other* backends to
> the "exclude-tags" setting, instead of adding the current one to
> "select-tags"?  Is there a specific reason to do this?

Let me know if it doesn't work as desired and share your improvements.
I didn't do proper testing as I don't fully appreciate all corner
cases of the use case.

On select tag, you can use it if you like how this document works

#+SELECT_TAGS: latex
* common intro
  test
** html intro                                                          :html:
   html
** latex                                                              :latex:
   latex
* common next section
  Next section

> Just adding "backend" to "select-tags" seems simpler to me, and I
> wonder whether "exclude-tags" even behaves correctly for headlines
> with more than one tag.  As far as I understand the Org manual, it
> would exclude headlines tagged as ":html:latex:" when exporting to
> "html", because "latex" is added as exclude-tag, preventing the
> headline from being exported.

You should be able to test this in a normal org document.

–Rasmus

--
C is for Cookie