Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 12:09:09 +0200

On 28.9.2013, at 10:48, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dnia 2013-09-28, o godz. 08:11:23
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> today I looked at our tutorial page at
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.html
>>
>> and came away with the feeling that that this page has become
>> somewhat useless for people who are really new to Org.  I think
>> the page should start with a section of true recommendations
>> for beginners, a path we tell every new users to take in order to
>> learn about Org mode.
>>
>> Can we have a discussion here on how this path should look like?
>> When you came to Org-mode as a newby, what were the three resources
>> that really made an impression on by being accessible and
>> providing feel and promise for digging deeper?
>
> As I hinted in my previous email, there are two cases:
>
> 1. Emacs users who are new to Org-mode.
>
> This is basically covered by the manual.  Period.
>
> 2. People new to Emacs who might want to use it /because/ of Org-mode.
>
> Here we have a huge potential for improvement, so to speak;).
>
> A couple of thoughts:
>
> - Screencasts and videos might be a viable option (even though it is a
>  bit old, I consider your Google lecture a very good introduction to
>  Org-mode - a survey of features; it is, however, aimed more at a
>  power user than a newbie).
> - What might be really interesting would be something along the lines
>  of C-h t.  In fact, the Emacs tutorial itself badly needs an update
>  imho.  And a similar thing for Org-mode might be even better.  In
>  fact, though I am quite busy at the moment, I'd be happy to start
>  thinking about something like this in my free time.  What do you
>  think?
> - For new users, there might be an installation instruction /including/
>  installing Emacs (especially on Windows machines, where it might be
>  tricky).  I think it should be emphasized that (at least in case of
>  Org-mode) Emacs may be treated more as an application framework,
>  which incidentally has more text-editing capabilities than, say, edit
>  boxes of GTK etc. (just a bit more, you know;)), and that Org-mode is
>  an application running in this particular environment.  (Calling it an
>  Elisp Virtual Machine might be a bit stretching, though;).)
> - Last but not least: we are still waiting for Sacha Chua to draw a
>  sketchnote-based intro to Org-mode;).

Hi Marcin,

thanks for your input!

However, for now, O was not asking for new material to be
produced (even though that may be interesting as well),
but rather I wanted to make a selection of the large
numbers of talks, screencasts, tutorials that introduce
into Org more progressively.  For example, my talk at
Google is too long as the first thing a newbie should
encounter.  I was hoping we can identify maybe 5 different
things (screencasts, tutorials, whatever) that we advertise
at the top of the tutorial page as the recommended default
introduction into Org.  The rest of the tutorial page is then
still there as additional reference for people who stay and want
to dig deeper.  The problem I have with the tutorial page
right now is that there is a huge amount of tutorials,
and no guidance for beginners.

- Carsten