Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Charles Millar
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 16:50:09 -0400

On 9/28/2013 3:52 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
Aloha Carsten,

snip
First, I think that most statements about "what Org-mode is" are
outdated. Many of them are quite good, but they represent the previous
state of an evolving system and so fail to capture the full scope. To my
mind, Org-mode is a "research programming interface" written by and for
scientists who take very seriously certain core values of the scientific
enterprise--reproducibility, open access, and open source (a partial
list).
Strongly disagree with the sentiment. My undergraduate degree may gave been Physics, but I work as a freelance paralegal. I use Org Mode for project (file) planning, scheduling, drafting documents, etc. Also, I believe that there are some very active participants on this list who are not scientists and have made great contributions.
Its original focus on project planning has expanded with two
amazing and fundamental contributions, Eric and Dan's mature Babel
implementation and Nicolas' new export framework.
I use the LaTeX export to create pdf documents, such as contracts and pleadings, nothing "scientific" there. Sometimes I will export to utf-8 text file, so I can copy and paste into "those other" document formats. (Sorry to say, but most of the US legal community is still MS Word and WordPerfect oriented.) I believe that I can eventually use Org-Babel for reproducible "research", research being more other than scientific.

These core values are manifest most clearly in the Org-mode community
and its organ, the mailing list. There isn't a tutorial on how to use
the mailing list! I'm confident that others in the Org-mode community
admire Nick Dokos' contributions to the list as much as I do. It would
be great to have his perspective and approach in a short, welcoming
tutorial.
No argument about the mailing list - see my earlier post. Also, Nick has helped me a few times; and I might add, I make sure that I read your posts - this is not to curry favor!
hth,
Tom

Charlie Millar