Re: [O] LaTex Adjustments for Org-Export

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] LaTex Adjustments for Org-Export
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:44:25 -0500

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Jeff Rush <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to export a .org file to .pdf and although I've gotten past
> many formatting hurdles, I am stuck on two problems.
>
> 1) How can I redefine, in my org-export-latex-classes variable, the
> \section definition, such that it includes \pagebreak?
>      My reason is that I would like each of my top-level headings to
> start on a new page, like a new chapter.

Can't help with this one.

> 2) How can I change the basic formatting of paragraphs everywhere to
>
>      a) omit the leading indent, and
>      b) have a blank line between paragraphs
>
>     Instead of this strange-looking style:
>
>         This is a test paragraph
>     of the following kind of thing.
>         And so is this one.
>
>     I want it to look like this:
>
>     This is a test paragraph
>     of the following kind of thing.
>       And so is this one.
>
> Thanks for any helpful souls out there.  I'm working on learning LaTeX
> but can't see how the various parts of the "article" base class fit
> together and how to selectively override them.

I have the following in my setupfile, which I think greatly improves
the default look:
#+latex_header: \usepackage[hmargin=2.5cm,vmargin=2.5cm]{geometry}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{paralist}
#+latex_header: \setlength{\parskip}{0.5cm} \setlength{\parindent}{0cm}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{mathpazo}

The \parskip and \parindent options should get you in the ballpark of
what you're looking for (non-indented new paragraphs, white space
between consecutive paragraphs).

The others widen the text space and use a nicer font.

Good luck!

John